Leeann Carey’s approach to yoga, the Yapana Way, provides a unique and insightful refuge from the imbalances of our frenzied lifestyle. In this book, she introduces a prop-supported practice that will help deepen and extend the benefits of yoga. This restorative practice meets you where you are, using props to extend the time you remain in a posture and encouraging self-inquiry, reflection, and relaxation. The use of props allows everyone to receive the benefits of these poses, regardless of physical ability or injury.
Restorative Yoga Therapy includes over one hundred photos and clear instructions for seated and supine forward bends, back bends, twists, and inversions, as well as breath work and final relaxation poses. Carey also provides helpful hints and suggested poses to relieve common complaints, including stress, lower back pain, stiff shoulders, PMS and menopause discomfort, and overexertion. Carey suggests that those who consider yoga simply an exercise regimen miss out on the transformative powers of a complete practice. When we pause to transcend competition with the self and others, we embrace the true essence and wisdom of yoga — the development of presence and self-acceptance throughout all aspects of life.
- “After working with Leeann, I feel very prepared to teach and support yoga students with restorative yoga. I would highly recommend Leeann Carey and her fellow teachers for advancing yoga knowledge, developing a personal practice and feeling more confident with all aspects of teaching yoga and students’ needs. I plan to continue studies with Leeann and learn even more about helping students through the Yapana body of knowledge.” ~ M. W. Harper, D.C.
- “Having taken additional workshops since completing the Yapana intensives, I realize how fortunate I am to have received the high-level of training that I did from Leeann Carey and the other Yapana mentors. Their training provided tools to help me heal lingering tension and pain from old injuries as well as identify and correct postural misalignments both on and off of the mat.” ~ A. Pedersen – Seattle, WA
- “After completing Leeann’s Yapana teacher training my private clientele practice has really taken off. I have the confidence to work with many different bodies and issues bringing balance and healing to people. This training enhanced all of my teaching styles of Vinyasa, Hatha, and Yin.” ~ C. Wallace – Mill Creek, WA”
- “Yoga’s been a big part of my professional career. I remember when Leeann and I used to work together years ago, and I remember how good I felt back then [practicing yoga]. [To get back on the court] I was doing regular therapy, but I wasn’t feeling great about it when I was done. That’s when I tracked Leeann down, because I Remember how great I felt back then [practicing yoga]. To get back into playing shape without the yoga we were doing together…. I don’t think I would be able to do it.” ~ Luke Walton, World Champion L.A. Laker and Assistant Coach for NBA Team, Golden State Warriors
- “So incredible. I feel like I got way more than I paid for.”
~ R. Perkins, M.S. Exercise Science – Redondo Beach, CA
- “The weekend was wonderful. Monday morning I used several of the poses to help reduce hip pain one of my Pilates clients has been having for weeks. When she got off the mat she had a huge smile and said, “Well, who needs a shot when I have you.” Thank you for giving me the tools to help this wonderful person.
~ M. Badila – Great Falls, VA.
- “From the beginning of my teaching, I recognized that yoga is a discipline of personal transformation and my students appreciate that I offer more than a workout. Since meeting Leeann and embracing Yapana, it has taken my teaching to another level. I teach in a variety of settings such as gyms, churches, and community centers. Leeann has helped me to sharpen my eye and my skills to find ways to bring growth to each participate in my classes.” ~ D. Graul – Columbia, SC
- “As co-founder of MISTY (Montreal International Symposium on Therapeutic Yoga) and founder of H~OM Yoga Center, I have had the pleasure of meeting many talented and skilled well-known yoga educators. Leeann Carey is one that stands out. Her down to earth compassionate energy for one, but also her unique application of yoga props for therapeutic use coupled with her vast knowledge of how to address specific issues is endless. H~OM has hosted Leeann’s valuable Yapana workshops and trainings and MISTY has been blessed on two occasions to present as part of our esteemed faculty.” ~ Helene Couvrette, Montreal, Canada
- “Collaborating with Leeann reinforced my understanding of finding balance between effort and letting go, allowing us to challenge our current limitations while taking care of our body, mind, and spirit.” ~ Neil Pearson, MSc, BScPT, BA-BPHE, CYT – Vancouver, Canada